The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) and the Philippine Department of Agriculture (DA), opened the fifth Rice: Research To Production (RR2P) capacity development course for research and extension staff of the DA and its attached agencies, local government units, and state universities and colleges on 7 November 2022.
The course will provide the 40 participants with basic and hands-on skills in rice production and post-production; knowledge in the country’s Philippine rice industry from production to market; and research and development issues and opportunities in the Philippine context. The RR2P course uses online and face-to-face training sessions. The online component will be held until 20 January 2023 with 16 modules covering the following topics:
- Farm planning and budgeting
- Rice plant morphology and growth stages
- Rice varieties and ecosystems
- Land preparation and leveling
- Rice crop establishment
- Water management in rice-based systems
- Nutrient management
- Pest management
- Harvest and post-harvest management
- Rice breeding
- Diversified farming in rice-based systems
- On-farm participatory adaptive research
- Digital tools for rice production
- Gender and rice research for development,
- Rice value chain under Philippine context
- Research proposal development for DA funding.
RRP2 is being conducted under the IRRI-DA collaborative project SERVE 2. SERVE2 is a capacity development project that is focused on strengthening the skills of the Philippines' national agricultural research and extension partners in research, development and extension to improve the productivity, competitiveness, and resilience of rice-based farming communities. Both senior and junior staff from DA and IRRI have benefited from several capacity-building activities under the project.
The RR2P is one of the courses being offered by IRRI Education. To learn more about other courses and learning engagements please visit education.irri.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about IRRI (www.irri.org) or follow us on social media and networks (all links down the right column).